Logo

GNSO Council Meeting
Nathalie Peregrine
50:30
@Martin, i did not see a proxy form.
Marika Konings
51:06
I just checked emails as well and I don’t see a record of a proxy form for Elsa.
Julf Helsingius
51:29
My apologies for being late, still sorting out my audio
Martin Silva Valent
53:30
My connection dropped
Martin Silva Valent
53:34
I am here
Martin Silva Valent
53:38
For the present
Nathalie Peregrine
54:20
Noted!
Nathalie Peregrine
55:55
Here it is: https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/Documents+for+GNSO+Council+review
Rafik Dammak
01:04:58
Thanks all
Heather Forrest
01:06:36
Lovely to be with you all, and very happy to be useful to you
Tatiana Tropina
01:07:47
Lovely to see you here, Heather!
Michele Neylon
01:08:24
Madame Chair is back!!!
Heather Forrest
01:18:16
On behalf of the DT may I please publicly acknowledge the dedication and hard work of our two staff support, Ariel Liang and Julie Hedlund
Maxim Alzoba
01:18:30
+1
Heather Forrest
01:18:54
Thanks, Maxim - a fellow DT member
Tatiana Tropina
01:18:59
+1 too. They were amazing
Tatiana Tropina
01:19:05
and they still are :-)
Heather Forrest
01:19:06
And Tatiana :)
Rafik Dammak
01:19:19
thanks Heather
Rafik Dammak
01:19:32
Be ready to be volunteered again :)
Tatiana Tropina
01:20:11
Heather, it was such a great pleasure to work on DT with you.
Maxim Alzoba
01:20:17
just a lot of small letter text
Rubens Kuhl
01:20:24
I have to drop zoom now but will rejoin by phone in a few.
Maxim Alzoba
01:20:32
important though
Rafik Dammak
01:20:38
good readings for the flights to Montreal meeting
Heather Forrest
01:21:34
Big hug to you all - don't hesitate to ping me if I can help you. Safe travels!
Tatiana Tropina
01:21:54
Nothing
Maxim Alzoba
01:21:59
nothing to add
Heather Forrest
01:22:13
Bye all
Tatiana Tropina
01:22:19
except thanking Heather, Ariel and Julie again
Pam Little, RrSG
01:22:20
Thank you Heather
Maxim Alzoba
01:22:23
bye Heather
Maxim Alzoba
01:24:14
given the recent developments in IDNs (they review the way to include now non-ccNSO IDN ccTLDs as a members, it will be even more an issue)
Maxim Alzoba
01:25:49
so in the future there will be even less non ccNSO members among ccTLDs
Maxim Alzoba
01:28:30
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.wixstatic.com_ugd_ec8e4c-5F90b99999e38546a4ae25ea556a165ad4.pdf&d=DwIF-g&c=MOptNlVtIETeDALC_lULrw&r=CwipU91YB6EkpFXK9ynnT_QUef4yC5p7jpsDm8cU97g&m=kCfx3XrmJJU4ZbJq2ad6XblwlnehXeYKn1YKwkFN6bA&s=Q50n-Aejqw1_Y4utaxZIBeCIexKzoHu9OVbZLhaI378&e=
Maxim Alzoba
01:28:45
reference to the Public comments of RySG on these matters
Rafik Dammak
01:30:32
it was maxim :)
Maxim Alzoba
01:30:56
hope so :)
Keith Drazek (Verisign)
01:31:44
Sorry, did I mis-speak?
Maxim Alzoba
01:31:50
a bit
Maxim Alzoba
01:33:47
I think it is a good time to strart
Maxim Alzoba
01:37:06
it does not come along well with the requirements to have valid data in WHOIS
Maxim Alzoba
01:38:36
could it be that we were not able to deliver the idea that basically those bit of non validated info is a fake data?
Maxim Alzoba
01:39:41
by editing EPDP recommendations the Board set precedence itself
Marika Konings
01:39:49
Nothing to add at this stage :-)
Marika Konings
01:41:19
Note that the EPDP Team recommended a safeguard to avoid unintended consequences for the deletion of admin data.
Rafik Dammak
01:41:49
Thanks Keith, it is clear
Marika Konings
01:41:53
The Board asked the question why that was not done in this instance - was that intentional or was it presumed that similar safeguards would be put in place in the implementation phase.
Tatiana Tropina
01:45:00
Keith, when you say “we provide” do you mean we as council or we as EPDP
Tatiana Tropina
01:45:04
sorry.
Keith Drazek (Verisign)
01:45:41
Thanks Tatiana. I think it's both, but the Council would absolutely need to engage with the EPDP on this.
Maxim Alzoba
01:45:42
I think list of the policies , art. in the RA RAA will help us in the discussion
Marika Konings
01:45:47
Note that the Council needs to affirm or modify its recommendation - there is no requirement for the EPDP Team to do so, but it is of course up to the Council to consult as deemed necessary.
Maxim Alzoba
01:46:08
(where there are requirements to keep data valid)
Marika Konings
01:46:33
It is of course a unique situation that the EPDP Team is still running, normally a PDP Team would have been done by the time the Board considers policy recommendations.
Maarten Simon, ccNSO liaison
01:46:40
signing off. see you all in Montreal
Nathalie Peregrine
01:46:51
Thank you Maarten!
Maxim Alzoba
01:47:13
I think we need to make better clarification and not just to reaffirm the recommendation without it
Rafik Dammak
01:47:14
@marika yes we have the opportunity(we should) to ask the EPDP
Flip Petillion
01:47:25
I agree with Rafik.
Flip Petillion
01:49:28
If possible, yes, good suggestion, Pam.
Keith Drazek (Verisign)
01:49:28
I also agree, we should consult with the EPDP team.
Flip Petillion
01:49:40
Agree as well
Maxim Alzoba
01:49:42
+1
Maxim Alzoba
01:56:56
it will need policy development, not just discussion
Maxim Alzoba
01:58:32
since we were able to identify some new issues, I do not thing that the present set of papers is holistic
Maxim Alzoba
01:58:42
*think
Keith Drazek (Verisign)
02:06:47
It sounds like the GNSO Council will need to appoint a liaison to the ccPDP group.
Maxim Alzoba
02:09:47
we have different timing for the process, so the question is do we need to hurry?
Rafik Dammak
02:09:54
Thanks Edmon
Keith Drazek (Verisign)
02:10:40
@Maxim: If I'm not mistaken, there are impacts/implications for SubPro
Maxim Alzoba
02:12:32
if we do not want to stop SubPro and RPMs and to review everything again .. we should not
Maxim Alzoba
02:12:54
we are managers of all PDPs , not only this new potential one
Maxim Alzoba
02:15:29
we might follow ccNSO ideas to some extent , but I doubt we will have the same set of texts
Edmon Chung
02:16:45
i would be happy to serve barring the requirement to be a council member
Edmon Chung
02:17:37
thx for having me today. bye
Marika Konings
02:17:42
We’ll confirm the language in the liaison description to see if there is room for flexibility
Maxim Alzoba
02:17:45
bye Edmon and thanks
Marie Pattullo
02:17:48
The right expertise should be the main factor, I agree.
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
02:18:11
Thanks Edmond
Keith Drazek (Verisign)
02:19:56
Clearly the GNSO Council liaison to the ccNSO needs to be a councilor, but our appointed liaison to a ccPDP group should be more flexible.
Maxim Alzoba
02:20:02
Marie, the issues with IDN might lead to situation where one of two TM owners (one has right for a string, and another for the ‘variant’ of the same string in another IDN script), and there will be a need to understand who of those two will have it all (and to be prepared to the action to be reversible via courts … actually)
Maxim Alzoba
02:20:54
so I think it is important to have someone with the proper expertise to evaluate such items
Rubens Kuhl
02:21:41
Sorry i have tô drop now
Maxim Alzoba
02:21:50
bye Rubens
Marie Pattullo
02:22:02
Got it Maxim. But surely that would be the same process as we have now when 2 TM owners have the same TM, but in different classes?
Maxim Alzoba
02:23:04
worse, for example it is sportswear, and term is boot of sorts in two dialects of the language
Flip Petillion
02:23:21
@Maxim and Marie: we should include people with this particular kind of experience; happy to look around
Maxim Alzoba
02:23:27
but the idea of IDN guidelines to have all variants in one hands
Maxim Alzoba
02:24:09
also .. imagine the scale of issues with already registered items
Marie Pattullo
02:26:07
Sorry for being dim but: all variants of a string in (e.g.) Latin script (Japanese, Arabic, whatever…) should belong to the same registrant, you mean?
Maxim Alzoba
02:26:38
it is more about two dialects in some , for example Arabic language , but still
Maxim Alzoba
02:27:49
but if some poor TLD decides to have variants between it’s latin script - and for example Japanese … it might be an issue
Maxim Alzoba
02:28:08
I mean with their own Japanese IDN TLD
Flip Petillion
02:28:14
@marie: possible ? Don’t think so. Practically speaking.
Maxim Alzoba
02:29:21
Flip@ the group, which produced the papers was tech experts, and I do not think they deliberated on legal and operational consequences of same-entity requirements
Marie Pattullo
02:29:33
Agree, Flip, Hence please note my confused-looking face :-). I need to read up, clearly.
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
02:31:26
INDEED!!! @ Keith it is associated with some expectations that may simply not be met (yet to be determined) etc.,
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
02:31:45
there *is* keen interest here certainly from the AC's
Marika Konings
02:34:37
For draft letter, please see https://gnso.icann.org/en/correspondence/smigelski-to-drazek-09oct19-en.pdf
Marie Pattullo
02:35:27
Maxim, I'm so glad you're here. So if there is a Latin registration for Marie.TLD, then you're saying the TLD Registry should ensure that in its Japanese variant. [JapaneseMarie].TLD should belong to the same registrant?
Rafik Dammak
02:37:34
no objection I think
Maxim Alzoba
02:37:42
if both TLDs in their applications said they bundle between those - might be … but I think it is more about, for example few languages in India, and you have Marie.IND1 and will have rights (from ICANN point of view under Guidelines), for Marie.IDN2 Marie.IDN3
Rafik Dammak
02:38:15
@marie that would be マリ.tld
Maxim Alzoba
02:38:38
@marie when in real world, another Marie might have registered in the IDN2 language and have TM rights there
Marie Pattullo
02:38:46
I'm stopping now. I'll do reading then buy you a beer in Montreal so you can explain this to me properly.
Maxim Alzoba
02:38:59
ok, cider then
Marie Pattullo
02:39:20
Arigato gazaymas (sp.), Rafik ;-).
Marie Pattullo
02:39:39
Noted, Maxim.
Julf Helsingius
02:44:06
Indeed
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
02:45:34
Thanks everyone, Bye for now, I will see most of you in Montreal in ICANN 66 meetings... Safe travels to those doing so...
Tatiana Tropina
02:45:44
thanks all — see you soon
Maxim Alzoba
02:45:46
safe travels , see you in Montreal!
Julf Helsingius
02:45:46
Safe travels!
Darcy Southwell
02:45:47
Thanks all! So you soon!
Marie Pattullo
02:45:47
See you all soon!
Osvaldo Novoa
02:45:48
Bye all!!
Philippe Fouquart
02:45:55
Bye all