Logo

New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG – Final Report Webinar
Steve Chan
25:45
Obviously Jeff, Cheryl, Flip and staff have a great working relationship :)
Nathalie Peregrine
25:55
Reminder to please set your chat to Panelists And Attendees so all can read, and so it can be captured in the Chat recording transcript.
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
26:33
Our staff have been an absolute pleasure and indeed an honour to work with.... True professionals
Terri Agnew
27:12
Please review ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior here: https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/expected-standards-2016-06-28-en
Carlton Samuels
27:27
@CLO +1 Could not do this without the excellent staff support!
Terri Agnew
27:28
Reminder, please change the dropdown to include All Panelists and Attendees to ensure everyone can see your message
Jeffrey Neuman
29:17
We hope this is going to be interactive, so Observers, if you have questions, please put them in the Q&A Pod. Councilors, you can put Questions in the Q&A as well or raise your hand when we are done.
Jeffrey Neuman
29:19
:)
Terri Agnew
39:02
Reminder, please change the dropdown to include All Panelists and Attendees to ensure everyone can see your message
Emily Barabas
39:23
Final Report: https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/final-report-newgtld-subsequent-procedures-pdp-20jan21-en.pdf
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
39:27
One moment @Maxim on its way
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
39:39
snap Than You @Emily
Maxim Alzoba
46:03
It is up to a council - what to leave and support
Maxim Alzoba
46:15
and what to cut out of it
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
47:53
@Maxim We present this to the Council as 1 package, and a highly interdependent one at that... we are well aware it is up to Council to do with it "as they may..." but we assume it is a single package as it leaves out hands
Maxim Alzoba
47:59
@Flip, Please , shed some light on topic 35, how the consensus level was measured
Jeffrey Neuman
48:21
Thanks Maxim....I am sure we will get to that
Maxim Alzoba
48:22
@Cheril, it is up to Council
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
48:34
We will go into much more detail on this @Maxim
Maxim Alzoba
48:47
@Cheryl, sorry for the typo
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
49:08
That is exactly what I said @Maxim the COuncil can do with it as it may... Was I not clear???
Kurt Pritz
50:04
@Maxim I mostly agree. Not necessarily to cut sections out of the report; the Board should review the entire report; but I believe the Council should provide guidance on which recommendations to adopt (depending on the degree of support the working group provided)
Maxim Alzoba
50:36
@Cheryl, please stick to the Expected Standards of Behavior
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
51:23
Sorry I did not believe I had not, but apologies if you believe I have
Maxim Alzoba
52:12
new hand
Maxim Alzoba
53:20
this items might be helpful to assess the number of people in the PDP and actual attendance https://community.icann.org/display/NGSPP/Attendance+Log+-+New+gTLD+Subsequent+Procedures+Working+Group?preview=/58726390/153520559/sub%20pro%20dec%2017.png
Julie Hedlund
55:01
@Maxim — we see your hand
Julie Hedlund
55:08
@Kurt — noted.
Maxim Alzoba
55:13
Thanks, @Julie
Flip Petillion
55:23
Yes, saw your hand Maxim
Terri Agnew
57:49
Reminder, please select all panelists and attendees in order for everyone to see chat and for content to be captured for all.
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
01:01:48
solid group of participants as shown in the link @Maxim placed in chat above
Maxim Alzoba
01:02:12
please check the attendance column
Maxim Alzoba
01:03:21
it does not look like hundreds
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
01:04:49
Attendance averages tended between 30-45 in most calls Some more some less (and the Work Tracks were often smaller but that was their nature as sub tracks... Yes
Maxim Alzoba
01:06:00
@When do we plan to have time for questions?
Flip Petillion
01:06:41
Maxim, let’s give some time to Jeff and Cheryl to present the topics and then the floor is open; ok ?
Martin Sutton
01:07:04
@maxim - please note that the meeting attendance is not fully representative of participation - many could not make all the meetings (sometimes multiple meetings per week) so email exchanges were frequently used by working group members whilst their attendance was limited.
Maxim Alzoba
01:07:16
@Flip, I am not questioning that, just a question
Flip Petillion
01:07:45
Ok no prob
Maxim Alzoba
01:08:34
@Martin, I do understand that it does not reflect e-mail exchanges, just use it as some kind of measurement equivalent
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
01:10:54
We did not measure from the Wiki numbers @Maxim, we used a 40-50 on average attendance
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
01:11:35
Personally I feel Leadership Teams is the preference
Maxim Alzoba
01:12:07
during the call where the item 35 was discussed it sounded like a hundred something
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
01:12:42
apologies if that came CCROSS AS SUCH AS IT WAS NOT THE INTENT NOR WHAT WE DID
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
01:12:49
cAPS error Soryy
Maxim Alzoba
01:12:54
I think there is a conflation of support and non-objection
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
01:15:41
I stepped in afgter Avri needed to leave the role
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
01:17:19
It helped us reduce any risks of inherent biases (we trust)
Annebeth Lange
01:19:11
I think it is important to point out that one of the reasons it has taken so long is that all the different stakeholders were invited to join this PDP WG. The hope is that all views have been raised during the process so that we can avoid what happened in the last round, that after the first AGB it took 7 versions and 5 years with discussion with other stakeholders than the GNSO to open up for applications.
Maxim Alzoba
01:19:45
the worst thing - that the AGB was change AFTER the application window closed
Maxim Alzoba
01:19:51
changed
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
01:20:41
Interesting and important point @Annebeth we trust all this preparation to get these recs will save the time we saw taken with AGB last time
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
01:21:13
and again we focussed strongly on trying to build predicatability
Emily Barabas
01:22:35
The definitions of the outputs are included on page 3 of the Final Report
Emily Barabas
01:23:04
On page 3, you will find a more detailed explanation than the summary on the slide
Amr Elsadr
01:23:55
I put a question in the Q&A pod. Should I have waited until later in the call?
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
01:24:21
Yes we have it Amr
Amr Elsadr
01:25:25
Thanks, Cheryl.
Kurt Pritz
01:27:30
I think what Jeff is suggesting here (or maybe not) is that these topics should not delay the next round. If he is suggesting this, I agree.
Carlton Samuels
01:27:40
@DNS Abuse. I have served on the CCT and WHOIS2 Review Teams. I can tell you that I truly believe that the current RA and RRAs do have enough in them to address DNA abuse. What has always been missing is the gumption for robust policing and sanction application.
Carlton Samuels
01:30:48
@ PICS/RVCs I am on record that given the wariness exhibited by ICANN Compliance to interfere in what could reasonably be determined as attempts to regulate business processes, these are purely cosmetic and not worth a bucket of warm spit. No new evidence have emerged to change my mind.
Flip Petillion
01:34:27
Paul saw your hand now; apologies
Paul McGrady
01:34:43
Question in chat
Jeffrey Neuman
01:34:48
@kurt - yes.
Paul McGrady
01:35:05
I don't have a voice but I have a question in Q&A
Paul McGrady
01:35:28
Meant Q&A pod, not chat. Thanks Julie.
Terri Agnew
01:35:33
Q&A pod is visible to all
Nathalie Peregrine
01:35:36
@Jeff the Q&A pod is visible
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
01:35:49
Thx for confirming that Terri
Paul McGrady
01:36:09
@Jeff - Correct. 35.2 but not 35.5
Paul McGrady
01:36:18
It doesn't
Paul McGrady
01:36:37
35.5 clearly states how private auctions will work.
Paul McGrady
01:37:20
@Jeff - but there is no Recommendations prohibiting private auctions and the 2012 guidebook stands, right?
Carlton Samuels
01:37:27
@Mechanisms of Last Resort. In my view non-delegation of a string not prohibited and for which sectors of the community by their intent say is valuable could waste a resource. I am against that. I take the position the community should be prepared to benefit from any such motion. So in principle I am all for private auctions to resolve contention sets. So long as the community can show a buck from it.
Paul McGrady
01:37:35
Flip said up front absent changes, 2012 AGB stands
Paul McGrady
01:38:39
Thanks Jeff. Important to not give Councilors the misimpression that there was an up or down vote on private auctions. There wasn't.
Jim Prendergast
01:38:53
Tab 35 of this google doc has a listing of the parties that raised concerns with Private Auctions. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kmZRLAsW6wlTyQ8LA3KhOQzU1UABL9zCPWw39Yc9lB8/edit#gid=1163822586
Paul McGrady
01:39:07
The up or down was on what to report about them when they happen.
Susan Payne
01:39:14
@Paul that's correct. status quo is to permit private auctions and so absent overwhelming consensus to change then private auctions continue to be permissible
Paul McGrady
01:39:34
Thanks Susan!
Jeffrey Neuman
01:39:45
@Paul - that was the philosophy that we the Working Group operated under. Whether the Board takes that approach as well is of course the Board's call
Paul McGrady
01:40:15
@Jeff - hopefully the Board stays in its lane and lets the community develop the policy. Fingers crossed!
Philip Corwin (Verisign)
01:41:44
The RPM WG co-chairs are on written record with Council that the RPM SubPro recommendations should be implemented through separate IRTs. That does not preclude them from coordinating on the very few issues where there may be overlap.
Susan Payne
01:42:21
the fact that a few people oppose private auctions shouldn't overturn the basis on which the WG made its decisions throughout it's work - ie there shouldn't be differential treatment on the topic of auctions
Amr Elsadr
01:42:47
@Phil: +1. It might help for the two IRTs to have liaisons to help with coordination?
Marie Pattullo
01:42:55
One of the main issues with the RPM WG was also chartering - too many questions with not enough synthesis so time spent questioning what the questions meant. Or: +1, Cheryl.
Maxim Alzoba
01:43:01
RPMs are part of the RA and RAA agreements, so they will work right after being tuned in the implementation, so there is no need for alignment
Kurt Pritz
01:43:09
I think the previous round had a requirement that the next round be launched in a year. But holding out hope….
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
01:43:14
In my personal view @Amr that would make sense
Maxim Alzoba
01:43:23
I mean the tuned RPMs version will be applied ASAP
Amr Elsadr
01:43:49
@Marie: +1. Rewording the charter questions took quite a bit of time to get done. Too much time!!
Paul McGrady
01:43:56
+1 Susan. The relentless attempts to bite that apple were consistently rejected by the WG which is why there is no anti-private auctions Recommendation in the report. Spinning the report like there is one really does a disservice to the hard work of the working group.
Susan Payne
01:44:19
Indeed Paul
Maxim Alzoba
01:44:39
Kudos to all the WG members , Leadership and ICANN Staff for hard work
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
01:44:40
Bravo to our Fabulous ICANN Staff
Annebeth Lange
01:44:46
Totally agree, Flip! They are awesome!
Heather Forrest
01:44:49
Bravo to all ICANN staff - an amazingly dedicated bunch of people
David Olive
01:45:07
I am here and hearing your good comments. Many thanks
Martin Sutton
01:45:16
Huge applause to the ICANN team for this WG - thank you.
Paul McGrady
01:45:47
@David O. - seriously huge applause for your team. Fabulous work over a very long haul.
Amr Elsadr
01:46:10
@Paul: +1
Maxim Alzoba
01:46:15
+1
David Olive
01:46:29
I accept those comments on behalf of a heard working org team.
Jimson Olufuye - K2
01:46:39
Work done is well appreciated. Thanks to you all!
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
01:46:45
Back
Martin Sutton
01:47:01
millions!
Martin Sutton
01:48:12
Thanks to Jeff and Cheryl for seeing this through and keeping the WG motivated to reach their conclusions.
Annebeth Lange
01:48:17
Cheryl + 1
Jeffrey Neuman
01:48:23
And huge thanks to the entire Working Group for your incredible work and for putting up with us :)
Annebeth Lange
01:48:24
And thanks to Jeff and Cheryl
Paul McGrady
01:48:25
Congratulations to Jeff and Cheryl!
Heather Forrest
01:48:36
Well done, Jeff and Cheryl!
Carlton Samuels
01:48:38
Congrats all! Bye all
Annebeth Lange
01:48:39
Bye all
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
01:48:40
Bye for now!
Maxim Alzoba
01:48:46
thanks all
Amr Elsadr
01:48:48
Thanks all. Bye.
Kristian Ørmen
01:48:49
Thank you