Logo

Joint At-Large Leadership Team (ALT-PLUS), CPWG & OFB-WG Call - Shared screen with speaker view
Lianna Galstyan Լիաննա Գալստյան
11:26
Hi everyone
Heidi Ullrich - ICANN Org
11:34
Welcome, All!
Maureen Hilyard
11:44
Hi everyone. Great to see you here :)
Ali AlMeshal
12:07
Hello everyone from Bahrain
Gopal Tadepalli
12:21
Greetings. - Dr. T V Gopal, Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, College of Engineering, Guindy Campus, Anna University , Chennai, INDIA.
Herb Waye Ombuds
12:33
Greetings everyone… looking forward to ICANN74 and to see you all in person.
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
12:51
g'day @Herb
Gisella Gruber - ICANN Org
13:18
Wishing everyone a very warm welcome!
Jonathan Zuck
13:20
That's the plan at this point anyway
Judith Hellerstein
20:26
These protocols are very much like we had at the IGF
Jonathan Zuck
20:29
Surveys asking whether how we've been feeling and the health of those around us
Jonathan Zuck
21:00
every 3rd seat in the auditorium
Judith Hellerstein
21:03
At least this is better than the nomcom rules where they are having a third party company doing tests before each day
Jonathan Zuck
21:27
On film sets, we get tested 3 times a wekk
Judith Hellerstein
21:42
Yes but not every day
Shreedeep Rayamajhi
22:41
healthy safety with compulsory travel insurance should be a must
Eduardo Díaz - NARALO Chair
23:29
@Shreedeep: Who will pay for the insurance?
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
23:55
Insurance has always been the responsibility of the traveller
Holly Raiche
24:06
@ Ed - exactly my question
Bill Jouris
24:20
@Shreedeep, here, "travel insurance" means insurance against not being able to travel. Is that what you are talking about?
Bill Jouris
24:29
If so, why would we care?
Sarah Kiden
24:40
I thought ICANN travel usually covers insurance during visa applications. Unless it’s a different kind
Eduardo Díaz - NARALO Chair
24:41
@Chryl: if that is the case then it can not be compulsory if that were the case.
Glenn McKnight, NARALO
24:47
Most insurance companies in Canada will now cover Covid.
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
24:54
travel Insurance often /should cover medical etc.,
Glenn McKnight, NARALO
26:00
For the past few years they refused to cover COVID but this has changed, ICANN doesn't cover travel health insurance.
Glenn McKnight, NARALO
28:07
The stipend is designed to offset your out of pocket expenses. this really can add up with airport parking, taxi, testing, health insurance etc
Allan Magezi
28:28
+1 Jonathan on legitimacy of some vaccines by the org
Eduardo Díaz - NARALO Chair
28:28
Are we not suppose to talk about the proposed meeting format, i.e., theme, plenary, pre-week etc.?
Shreedeep Rayamajhi
28:37
Travel insurance in case of any incident that may happens with in a certain period of time like tickets cancellationetc.. last time I was travelling was when my ticket got cancelled and I was stranded after the event
Glenn McKnight, NARALO
30:05
@shree ICANN buys the cheapest ticket, normally without insurance
Shreedeep Rayamajhi
31:02
yes glen thats what I am saying, anything can happen at anytime ....
Roberto Gaetano - NextGen Mentor
31:09
My questions were rather questions to staff, not intended to necessarily be addressed in this call, where I thought that the focus would be on the new meeting format - but I welcome any clarification on any aspect of the meeting
Gisella Gruber - ICANN Org
31:13
FAQ will have answers to some of these questions.
Gisella Gruber - ICANN Org
31:25
Room capacity is LIMITED
Roberto Gaetano - NextGen Mentor
31:45
I meant my questions in the email list
Jonathan Zuck
31:57
Oh, I thought we would just drown those people, Hadia
Heidi Ullrich - ICANN Org
31:59
@Roberto, your questions have been noted
Judith Hellerstein
32:02
@gisella yes that is why I asked that question
Glenn McKnight, NARALO
32:23
Shree its an item we have suggested many many times just in your case as demonstrated. I have found cheaper flights with flight insurance but ICANN wants ICANN travel to do all the travel
Roberto Gaetano - NextGen Mentor
32:41
@heidi, and I had already a partial answer via email, so I am happy
Gisella Gruber - ICANN Org
32:45
@Judith - hopefully FAQ will answer most of our Community questions and if you are not able to find your answer, we will follow up
Judith Hellerstein
32:53
@hadia for nomcom, it was stated that is people test positive they will be made to stay in their hotel until they can be able to exit
Mouloud Khelif - ICANN73 Fellow
32:58
Are we also taking into account the requirements for entry into the EU / Netherlands ? especially for those travelling from outside the EU ?
Glenn McKnight, NARALO
33:22
look at the Rules set by NL
Glenn McKnight, NARALO
34:00
https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad
Hadia Elminiawi (ALAC-Participant)
34:10
As initial thoughts, those are very good measures. Signup for sessions is a bit complicated, but as said more will come in this regard.
Eduardo Díaz - NARALO Chair
34:12
I read about having overflow rooms for the sessions. Does that mean that we will be like remote participants when that happens? If that is the case, what happens to a f2f interaction? Can we reserve our seats in the main room where things are being discussed?
Hadia Elminiawi (ALAC-Participant)
36:19
What happens if someone tests positive? Quarantine, isolation, close contact ?
Shreedeep Rayamajhi
37:08
A lot of the times when we are doing hybrid meeting. the remote participation gets ignored so we will need more focused startegy approach for better efficiency and effectiveness
Eduardo Díaz - NARALO Chair
37:34
@Jonathan: I like the experiment of a thematic format. Who or how are these themes going to be determined?
Betty FAUSTA
37:40
+1 with Shreedeep
Holly Raiche
38:07
@ JZ - what about technical sessions that support the policy being discussed?
Hadia Elminiawi (ALAC-Participant)
38:14
Good to try a thematic program structure
Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong
38:14
yes +1 Sheeedeep we need to have some Hub around the world to give more opportunities to community
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
38:46
I am confortable with the day 1 thematic approach on this Policy Forum
Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong
38:53
perso Remote participation and Hub community participation
Eduardo Díaz - NARALO Chair
39:16
@Hadia= You test positive for Covid you are basically ban from the f2f meeting. Problem is if you test positive the last day of the meeting and you suppose to take a plane. Who is going to pay for the trip change and who is going to cover your extra stay and per-diem?
Glenn McKnight, NARALO
39:21
Yes the remote hubs are a good idea with some guidance on how to set them up effectively, attendance, funding support etc
Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong
39:27
ALS can facilitate that with ICANN support like we did in IGF
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
39:35
Do all remember there is a difference between a F2F Meeting with Remote Participation and a Hybrid Meeting Model
Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong
39:38
yes Glenn +1
Jonathan Zuck
39:41
@Holly, some technical sessions might fall under a thematic umbrella. The point is that this is POLICY FORUM and suggesting how that might be different.
Michelle DeSmyter - ICANN Org
39:58
@Holly - we are having a hard time hearing you
Michelle DeSmyter - ICANN Org
40:01
@Hadia
Eduardo Díaz - NARALO Chair
40:36
@Cheryl: What is the difference. We have had remote participation in these meeting always?
Holly Raiche
40:38
@ JZ - that is what II meant - tie technical sessions tied to the policy themes
Sivasubramanian M
40:44
Before the panedemic, when all meetings were face to face, the meeting format allowed zoom login by remote participants, a hybrid meeting would be no different, except that the ratio of remote participants to in-room participants woudl be different
Heidi Ullrich - ICANN Org
40:56
Past plenary topics that had wide community interest could be suggested as well.
Glenn McKnight, NARALO
41:03
I too like the theme approach, the devil is in the detail, determination of the theme , perhaps we need some voting approach on the selection of the theme.
Shreedeep Rayamajhi
41:19
+1 glenn
Jonathan Zuck
41:36
But plenaries are separate from themes. Two different conversations. It's not about "hot topics' as much as current "work."
Heidi Ullrich - ICANN Org
41:37
If a thematic theme is approved, then there might be only one plenary (if that).
Hadia Elminiawi (ALAC-Participant)
41:39
+1 Maureen an inclusive topic
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
41:43
Hybrid meeting design is all about participation engagement equity and thi=us is usually MORE expebsic=ve to yun than a F2F with Remote
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
42:23
ball park figures adds at least 15-50K additional to each for example concurrent session in a Hybrid over a Remote
Shreedeep Rayamajhi
42:57
virtual meeting was an eye opener regarding the participation and numbers ...
Sivasubramanian M
43:10
@Cheryl engagement equity wasn't a pronounced concern during f2f with remote, it becomes very important in a hybrid where the ratio is about half to half.
Eduardo Díaz - NARALO Chair
43:15
Is there a limit to the people that can attend?
Jonathan Zuck
43:17
I honestly think that's an impossibility. I think we need to ask how to make it the best possible experience for remote participants
Shreedeep Rayamajhi
43:25
+1 Maureen there is a greater need of looking into the session and enagagment
Jonathan Zuck
43:49
timezone management is definitely part of it
Sivasubramanian M
43:57
but I am surprised that it turns out to expensive. More expensive than an all f2f meeting?
Jonathan Zuck
44:13
ORG has worked hard to compress the virtual meetings into overlapping TZs
Judith Hellerstein
44:17
Hybrid meeting at the IGF was not like that as there were only a few hubs
Sivasubramanian M
44:19
...turns out to be expensive...
Holly Raiche
44:38
What about the Transfer policy - what are the rules, do they protect all parties sufficiently, what technically works, what would requirements on an AuthInfo code look like for security?> Just a thoght
Judith Hellerstein
45:00
That is not what the IGF had. There hybrid hubs were not Interactive hubs
Shreedeep Rayamajhi
45:58
hybrid will work but there needs to be more work that has to be done regarding getting the interest and enagagment of the participation...
Glenn McKnight, NARALO
46:14
The IETF was last week, did anyone attend or have an opinion on their success? Also ARIN on the Road is in Phoenix this week
Eduardo Díaz - NARALO Chair
46:31
How are we going to manage a networking event at the end of each day where you need to be 6 feet apart and when drinking masks are usually off (or briefly off)?
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
46:42
exactly it is the additional audio and data that contributes to the additional costs
Sivasubramanian M
47:25
@Eduardo... Aren't these the least of our concerns, relative to health reated restrictions etc. ?
Sarah Kiden
47:57
If we explore hubs, would they be given support for their connectivity?
Eduardo Díaz - NARALO Chair
48:12
@Siva: I am concern about the overflow rooms.
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
48:25
and @Sarahh that also adds to costs
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
48:35
so you see why they are more expensive now?
Sarah Kiden
48:48
They are expensive and complex to implement
Sarah Kiden
48:55
Agree, Cheryl
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
48:56
Yup
Jonathan Zuck
49:24
Might make sense to just continue the connectivity subsidy for the hybrid meetings. I don't know what it ended up costing
Jonathan Zuck
49:52
I feel like hubs are generally not worth it
Holly Raiche
50:16
@ JZ - why?
Sarah Kiden
50:17
@Jonathan, why not?
Sivasubramanian M
50:57
Given these concerns, for the Hague meeting, ICANN74 PC may have to explore the possibilities of chosing a venue large enough and open enough to allow the required 'space' for movement under all these health concerns. For example, a venue with rooms for 2000 participants actually seating 400, and a larger room if the size of the inroom participants is expected to be more, a venue with more open space, even an open space auditorium for some sessions, a venue with a garden for Tea or lunch etc.
Glenn McKnight, NARALO
51:11
The remote hubs will be very important especially for membership restricted by NL travel bans from various countries. Look at the NL site on their rules
Judith Hellerstein
51:18
Adam Peake is the co chair of the hybrid meeting working group at the IGF so he can help out. Iam also happy to put items on the google doc
Glenn McKnight, NARALO
51:57
If I recall Ron Da Silva had lots of experience in Hybrid meetings in past year
Sarah Kiden
52:12
I might be the only one worried but 2 months sounds like a very short time to plan all this
Glenn McKnight, NARALO
52:30
Yes Sarah your worries are very valid
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
52:41
yup again
Jonathan Zuck
52:41
And shared by all
Judith Hellerstein
53:13
Visas also will be an issue for many
Marita
53:23
I don't think there will be enough to report on the GPI framework
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
53:33
I agree @Marita
Marita
53:39
in terms of new stuff
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
54:07
certainly a Hot Topic I would say @eB
Sivasubramanian M
54:19
one of the previous slides mentioned a session on Geopolitics. What would that session be about?
Marita
54:20
Prioritization or something around that might be interesting.
Bill Jouris
54:37
We may find ourselves doing a Theme Day, as with the hybrid meeting, not so much for itself as a beta test. That is, for the chance to fine out what problems crop up that we hadn't thought of. So we can do better next time.
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
54:38
too erly on that as well IMO @Marita
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
54:44
early
Jonathan Zuck
54:51
There will definitely be a prioritization meeting of some sort. Might be worth making it unconflicted
Marita
55:03
yes, maybe next time on that also @Cheryl
Jonathan Zuck
55:45
How about the increasing fracturing of the root?
Marita
56:20
Is it time for different constituencies to speak publically about their priorities.
Marita
56:42
in an uncnflicted session
Holly Raiche
56:43
@ JZ - yes - what about a follow up from the session with Jeff and the issues arising from blockchaoi>
Holly Raiche
56:55
sorry - blockchain
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
57:12
YES to Theme
Jonathan Zuck
57:22
I was actually thinking, @Holly, about the China and Russia and the idea of a localized root and whether that has had an impact
Bill Jouris
57:26
Theme - worth a try
Yrjo Lansipuro
57:29
This is the new European law Sébastien was referring to: https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20220315IPR25504/deal-on-digital-markets-act-ensuring-fair-competition-and-more-choice-for-users
Holly Raiche
57:43
@ Marita - agree but I”m thinking it isn’t can overarching theme
Heidi Ullrich - ICANN Org
57:46
We can also have people use a green check or red x
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
57:54
Day 1
Sarah Kiden
57:55
We can give it a try
Mouloud Khelif - ICANN73 Fellow
58:00
Thanks @Yrjo
Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond
59:00
30 seconds is sufficient
Hadia Elminiawi (ALAC-Participant)
59:03
Fracturing of the root and blockchain are both good ideas. They can also fit in one theme.
Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond
59:04
:-)
Heidi Ullrich - ICANN Org
59:10
Was blockchain agreed as a possible plenary topic?
Roberto Gaetano - NextGen Mentor
59:12
Yes, 30”
Bill Jouris
59:49
Wel, THAT'S clear!
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
59:57
indeed :-)
Holly Raiche
01:00:03
@JZ/OCL - I like the idea of tying the fracturing the root and block chain.
Greg Shatan
01:00:14
It’s not really a theme without costumes….
Eduardo Díaz - NARALO Chair
01:00:18
@Holly: me too!
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
01:00:33
Always happy to dress up @Greg
Chokri Ben Romdhane
01:00:46
yes please @Holly great suggestion
Jonathan Zuck
01:01:22
so @Heidi, the plenary could be "conflict in the root" which could bring up alternative roots such as Russia and China as well as blockchain such as ETH
Heidi Ullrich - ICANN Org
01:01:40
What would be the issue re blockchain?
Holly Raiche
01:01:52
Does Reputation Block lists fit in?
Heidi Ullrich - ICANN Org
01:02:29
@JZ, thanks!
Sivasubramanian M
01:03:28
@Jonathan If we are discussing alternative roots such as that of Russia and China as you have suggested, it would be nice if we could positively explore ways of persuading these countries to stay global.
Holly Raiche
01:03:34
@ Heidi - the issue raised by Jeff in the block chain session was the challenge it poses to ICANN processes - he argued it was a reason to speed up introducing more new gTLDs and I was looking forward to him explaining why
Jonathan Zuck
01:03:41
@Marita, how would the others possibly measure up?
Marita
01:04:47
Okay, we would just be showing off @JZ
Jonathan Zuck
01:04:50
Of course, @Heidi, the sun rising is a reason to hurry up with a new round for Jeff...
Holly Raiche
01:05:17
@JZ 😊
Eduardo Díaz - NARALO Chair
01:05:22
If we choose a theme then the plenary has to be oriented around that theme. Otherwise, why having a theme.
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
01:05:53
no need to have plenary in a Theme day IMO
Chokri Ben Romdhane
01:05:59
I Would like to suggest "End users data in the ICANN open data platform"
Jonathan Zuck
01:06:02
@Eduardo, themes and plenaries are different. Themes were meant to focus on current work
Heidi Ullrich - ICANN Org
01:06:22
Noted, @Chokri
Roberto Gaetano - NextGen Mentor
01:06:37
@Ed I thought the them was just for one day, not an overarching theme for the whole meeting, affecting the plenaries
Glenn McKnight, NARALO
01:06:55
Themes are a good way to focus the discussion, especially important in regards to the policy discussion
Heidi Ullrich - ICANN Org
01:06:59
We can go over 10 mins if needed
Carlos Dionisio Aguirre
01:07:03
maybe a theme could be ¿How we can identify abusives domains? and how we can act against they. my two cents
Holly Raiche
01:07:13
@ Roberto - that was my understanding - that there are other sessions as well
Heidi Ullrich - ICANN Org
01:07:36
Noted, @Carlos
Eduardo Díaz - NARALO Chair
01:08:24
@Jonathan: I was under the impression tat if there is a Theme the whole meeting should rotate around that theme otherwise why having a theme (exmaple) around “electric cars” and have a plenary about how to make hamburgers.
Jonathan Zuck
01:08:28
@roberto, that's right
Bill Jouris
01:08:49
Definitely going to need a decision on what constitutes a valid demonstration of vaccination.
Jonathan Zuck
01:09:09
@Eduardo. That's NOT the case and in particular plenaries wouldn't follow the theme. The themes are about preparation advantages.
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
01:09:09
Yes it is a rapidy changing landscape still
Heidi Ullrich - ICANN Org
01:10:11
We have noted them.
Alan Greenberg
01:10:51
Indeed. South Korea which has had it pretty easy till now is currently reporting 2,000,000 new cases per week.
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
01:10:51
Bye for now then...
Bill Jouris
01:10:54
Not only changing, but subject to change of direction of changes
Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong
01:10:56
Thanks Merci bye bye
Raymond Mamattah
01:10:58
How will there be social distancing during meals and drink up😄.
Lianna Galstyan Լիաննա Գալստյան
01:11:13
Thanks everyone
Hadia Elminiawi (ALAC-Participant)
01:11:17
Thank you for this call. Bye for now
Betty FAUSTA
01:11:23
bye all
Lilian Ivette Deluque
01:11:32
bye
CMR CAPDA Michel TCHONANG LINZE
01:11:40
Thank bye all
Betty FAUSTA
01:11:54
don't forger FRENCH TRANSLATOR next time
CMR CAPDA Michel TCHONANG LINZE
01:12:12
+1
Claudia Ruiz - ICANN Org
01:12:29
@Betty we requested FR interpretation but the interpreters were not available, apologies
Yrjo Lansipuro
01:12:52
In addition to the geopolitical forum, there might a be plenary on the impact on the internet by the war that is going on
Heidi Ullrich - ICANN Org
01:12:53
@Betty, the call was organised over the weekend, so shorter than we normally plan meetings.
Sivasubramanian M
01:12:55
Thank you all.
Jonathan Zuck
01:13:03
it's all because Europeans have such long summer breaks!
Holly Raiche
01:13:21
I knew it was their fault??
Cheryl Langdon-Orr
01:13:23
Count me in @G
Jonathan Zuck
01:13:25
it's almost as though work isn't your whole life!
Chokri Ben Romdhane
01:13:35
Thank you all
Heidi Ullrich - ICANN Org
01:13:45
Many thanks!!
Daniel K Nanghaka
01:13:50
thank you all
Herb Waye Ombuds
01:13:54
Take care everyone, stay safe and be kind
Hadia Elminiawi (ALAC-Participant)
01:13:54
Thank you
Allan Magezi
01:13:57
Thank you
Daniel K Nanghaka
01:13:57
Bye
Sarah Kiden
01:14:02
Thank you!
Raymond Mamattah
01:14:03
Bye
Allan Magezi
01:14:03
Bye