Logo

051040040 RPMs in all gTLDS PDP WG
Terri Agnew
26:11
Please review ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior here: https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/expected-standards-2016-06-28-en.
Ariel Liang
29:47
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/report-comments-rpm-initial-report-18may20-en.pdf
Ariel Liang
30:43
https://community.icann.org/display/RARPMRIAGPWG/Phase+1+Initial+Report+Public+Comment+Review
Ariel Liang
32:34
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xMehg9o44bdz85ry0LJvhzoOaKdmJ6SwIrLneMx0Ixc/edit#gid=1163822586
Justine Chew
38:27
I am so pleased that staff have chosen a deeper green to indicate support -- my eyes hurt reading the lime green that was used in the same tool which SubPro PDP WG used.
Julie Hedlund
38:58
You can thank Ariel for that @Justine — I liked the lime green LOL
Julie Hedlund
39:37
@Susan — we see that your hand is up.
Justine Chew
39:51
@Julie, the lime green is a nice color but made text very difficult to read.
Mary Wong
40:02
@Justine, thanks. More generally, we are conscious that some people may have difficulties with accessibility. While we’ve tried to use fonts, colors and charts that display best on screen for most people, we are very happy to help anyone who may have specific challenges. Just let us know.
Susan Payne
40:16
sure Ariel
Kathy Kleiman
40:55
If you are looking for this in the file, look at the bottom tabs.
Griffin Barnett
41:13
Apologies for joining late, had another call run quite a bit over time
Philip Corwin
41:19
Thanks Susan. Let's let Ariel finish taking us through the tool and then we can field all questions.
Kathy Kleiman
41:31
Sunrise Q2
Philip Corwin
42:22
I think it's evident how much work staff put into creating the tool to facilitate our comment review.
Mary Wong
43:31
Thank you, Phil! Kudos go to Ariel and Julie who did all of this in a very short span of time, while supporting other PDPs and GNSO work.
David McAuley (Verisign)
44:59
very nice, Ariel
Kathy Kleiman
46:07
It's a tour de force -- and a little easier to understand on subsequent reviews.
Susan Payne
47:40
thanks Ariel
David McAuley (Verisign)
48:56
Suggestion for agendas each week - that they list appropriate links to worksheets and reference to cell on which we will be starting
Julie Hedlund
49:15
Absolutely David — that is indeed what we plan to do.
David McAuley (Verisign)
49:23
thanks, Julie
Julie Hedlund
51:32
Hand raised
Philip Corwin
52:20
Note that ICANN Org submitted comments regarding operational aspects of our Recommendations, which we appreciate.
Michael R. Graham
54:25
@Julie -- For clarification, how do you link from chart to full comment?
David McAuley (Verisign)
54:46
+1 @Phil, many thanks for this great effort
Mary Wong
54:59
Thanks Phil, yes, ICANN org’s comments were only on some recommendations (not proposals or questions), based on operational questions and do not indicate support or non-support at all.
Julie Hedlund
55:10
@Michael — its not a link, you will have to scroll down
Julie Hedlund
55:55
@Kathy — yes there will be further opportunities to ask and answer questions
Julie Hedlund
56:38
hand up
Paul McGrady
57:34
@Julie - sounds good
Ariel Liang
58:26
Thanks all for your questions. You can review the public comment review tool more in detail via this wiki page (all four sets of spreadsheets are there): https://community.icann.org/x/HzSJBw
Kathy Kleiman
01:00:53
And of course, the subgroups can move faster :-)
Paul Tattersfield
01:07:16
It seem to me there is a the problem that when it comes back to the main working group there is an approach that the matter was already considered by the sub working group
David McAuley (Verisign)
01:07:27
Agree with Phil. As I understand the work now it is not to open Recs to full debate again but to discern whether/how public comments affect it
Kathy Kleiman
01:07:35
Agree with Phil's overview.
Julie Hedlund
01:09:03
@Paul that’s correct
David McAuley (Verisign)
01:09:12
I think that is right, Paul, that how I heard it too
Zak Muscovitch
01:09:27
And what is the role of the entire WG once the subgroups come back?
Philip Corwin
01:09:31
Yes Paul M, they will engage in substantive work
Paul McGrady
01:09:33
Thanks Julie. Thanks Phil.
Philip Corwin
01:10:10
@Zak--the full WG will make the final decisions, and hold the consensus call
Julie Hedlund
01:10:52
@Zak: See the tab on the screen — the full WG will decide on the final recommendations via consensus call as Phil notes
Paul Tattersfield
01:10:58
the problem is Phil there is no alternative at that point
David McAuley (Verisign)
01:12:31
There's nothing, I think, to prevent entire WG from populating each sub group, like committees of the whole.
Paul Tattersfield
01:12:31
the issue is broad support v block support
Julie Hedlund
01:13:05
@David: That’s correct.
Cyntia King (USA)
01:14:05
BUt part of the settlement of our debates was the argument that we could table the discussion while reaching out for public comment.
Cyntia King (USA)
01:14:36
Being out for public comment was not necessarily an indication of consensus.
Philip Corwin
01:14:40
@David--correct, all WG members are free to join either or both of the subgroups
Paul McGrady
01:14:49
+1 Kathy. No re-debates absent a really game changing new idea.
Mary Wong
01:14:59
If I can try to summarize: For prelim recommendations, the sub groups will review the level of community support (including whether textual changes may be needed for clarity). For proposals, the sub groups will also review the level of support and come back with suggestions. Finally, for questions, the sub groups will review the suggestions made and come back to the WG with a report and possible options/recommendations.
Philip Corwin
01:15:04
I plan to participate/monitor both
Michael R. Graham
01:16:35
The purpose of the Comment forms is to ensure that WG does consider all comments -- even if it is to respond that the WG has already considered particular proposalsl -- and responds to them appropriately.
Mary Wong
01:16:46
@Michael, exactly.
Michael R. Graham
01:16:55
I should have said "as I understand the purpose"
David McAuley (Verisign)
01:18:54
so sub A starts next Tuesday it looks
Susan Payne
01:19:32
please don't clash with IRP-IOT on Tuesday
David McAuley (Verisign)
01:21:24
good point - and note IOT usually takes 90 minutes
Justine Chew
01:21:57
@Julie, @Ariel, good to know, thanks.
Paul Tattersfield
01:24:00
Ok let’s take an example. We have a tension where a law professor wants to tighten existing wording and a very experienced IP attorney who says that the proposal excludes the unregistered marks of IGOs is a feature, not a bug. The GAC wishes IGOs to access to the RPMs. Where does that tension get resolved in our work plan?
Ariel Liang
01:24:01
Thank you Paul
Paul Tattersfield
01:24:26
I appreciate the work too there is a lot and it shows bUt I want to ensure nothing is missed
Mary Wong
01:24:36
@Paul, do you mean three conflicting public comments were submitted?
Kathy Kleiman
01:24:40
@Paul T: I don't think we can do hypotheticals...
Paul Tattersfield
01:25:15
an issue that isn't currently resolved
Kathy Kleiman
01:25:21
@Paul T -- can you join with audio?
Paul McGrady
01:25:34
Hard to do hypotheticals, but there are two steps - 1 at subgroup and then again at WG/consensus call. So, still plenty of runway to work out solutions.
Justine Chew
01:25:55
Sorry I have to leave for another call now.
Kathy Kleiman
01:26:04
bye Justine
Paul Tattersfield
01:28:06
@Kathy thats not a hyperthetical its a real concern and it needs to be resolved otherwise it it will resut in years of disputes
Kathy Kleiman
01:29:03
@Paul T: I am sympathetic, but it's hard to know this. SubPro WG had much more open-ended issues. Our Recommendations come with a lot of work behind them...
Kathy Kleiman
01:29:32
(and we have limited time :-))
David McAuley (Verisign)
01:30:28
Good point by Phil about prior prep before each sub group meeting - best if we can get the agenda as early as possible for each meeting
Susan Payne
01:31:33
@David, I guess we already know what's proposed to be on the agenda for the calls based on the work plan
David McAuley (Verisign)
01:31:49
if we keep to it - agreed, Susan
Paul McGrady
01:32:08
We just have to be sure that we won't overlap with SubPro calls
Maxim Alzoba
01:32:25
hello all, sorry for being late, calendar item was borked for me
Jay Chapman
01:34:08
Thanks, everyone
Ariel Liang
01:34:13
Thanks everyone
David McAuley (Verisign)
01:34:13
Thanks all, bye
Susan Payne
01:34:16
thanks
Paul Tattersfield
01:34:19
thanks all bye
Greg Shatan
01:34:21
Bye all!