Logo

ICANN Public Forum - Shared screen with speaker view
Andrea Glandon - ICANN Org
52:54
Hello, my name is Andrea Glandon and I will be monitoring this chat room. Please note that all questions should be submitted in English, French or Spanish within the Q&A pod. During the Q&A session, remote attendees may also aise their hand using the raised hand icon at the bottom of the screen. Participants who are onsite can go to the standing mic. Questions and comments placed in chat will be considered as part of the “chat” and will not be addressed by the executives.
Andrea Glandon - ICANN Org
53:18
To listen to the interpretation, please click on the interpretation icon in the Zoom toolbar and select the language you will listen to and/or speak during this session.To view the real time transcription, click on the “closed caption” button in the Zoom toolbar.Please note that chat sessions are being archived and follow the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior. http://www.icann.org/en/news/in-focus/accountability/expected-standards.
Dave Kissoondoyal - ALAC
56:38
Hello everyone
Barbara Curwin
56:55
Hello all : )
Ashirwad Tripathy- ICANN Alumni
58:09
greeting from Nepal everyone..
Oksana Prykhodko
58:43
Greetings from Ukraine
Beatriz Rodriguez -UY
59:03
Greeting from Uruguay
Swe
01:00:14
Greeting from Myanmar
Jeff Neuman
01:00:47
I think we need to ensure at future ICANN meetings that the Public Forums are longer than 1 hour especially when the first 10-15 minutes or so are used for introduction, rules and anti-harassment program.
Andrea Glandon - ICANN Org
01:00:48
When sending a chat, please make sure to choose everyone, so all participants can see your message.
Abdal Ahmed
01:01:03
Hello everyone!
Pam Little
01:01:10
+1 Jeff
Anne Aikman-Scalese
01:01:15
+1 Jeff
Nigel Hickson UK GAC
01:01:33
Good morning
Jeff Neuman
01:01:44
We have a line in the room that has 7 people already and that is putting aside the remote participation
Abdal Ahmed
01:02:04
Good morning everyone!
Reg Levy - Tucows
01:02:15
+1 Jeff
Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong
01:02:36
Hello All Bonsoir à tous
Jiankang
01:03:18
+1 jeff
Jiankang
01:04:01
2 hours is minimum
Swe
01:04:04
Good Morning
Herb Waye
01:04:06
Greetings from the Office of the Ombudsman. Our ICANN75 venue office (Executive Suite 1) and virtual office (Zoom) will be open during the AGM meeting hours. Details for the virtual Zoom office are available in the Discussion forum on the main ICANN75 meeting page under the “More” drop down list. We can always be reached by email at ombudsman@icann.org Stay safe and be kind.
Jeff Neuman
01:06:47
17 minutes in and only 1 question so far
Jeff Neuman
01:08:36
Really difficult to hear Board members in the room.
Andrea Glandon - ICANN Org
01:09:11
Please note that all questions should be submitted in English, French or Spanish within the Q&A pod. During the Q&A session, remote attendees may also raise their hand using the raised hand icon at the bottom of the screen. Participants who are onsite can go to the standing mic. Questions and comments placed in chat will be considered as part of the “chat” and will not be addressed by the executives.
Jeff Neuman
01:10:16
SubPro did recommend exactly what Werner is saying
Jeff Neuman
01:10:39
Predictable periods in between rounds and not stopping for indeterminate periods of review
Kurt Pritz
01:11:44
As I recall, the 2012 round included a commitment to conduct another round within one year of the close of the first application round for those that were not aware. Does anyone recall the details of that?
Jeff Neuman
01:11:46
And that recommendation was adopted unanimously
Jeff Neuman
01:12:18
@Kurt - yes, but there was also the language Avri stated….so there was an inherent conflict in the Guidebook itself
Reg Levy - Tucows
01:15:52
standing virtually, Raoul
Rick Lane
01:16:20
My recent opinion piece on the recent WHOIS DISCLOSURE SYSTEM DESIGN PAPER https://medium.com/@rick.lane22/horton-hears-a-whois-45a3db0113
Jeff Neuman
01:17:02
Language on Next Round from Guidebook:ICANN’s goal is to launch subsequent gTLD application rounds as quickly as possible. The exact timing will be based on experiences gained and changes required after this round is completed. The goal is for the next application round to begin within one year of the close of the application submission period for the initial round.ICANN has committed to reviewing the effects of the New gTLD Program on the operations of the root zone system after the first application round, and will defer the delegations in a second application round until it is determined that the delegations resulting from the first round did not jeopardize root zone system security or stability.
Andrea Glandon - ICANN Org
01:18:26
Please note that all questions should be submitted in English, French or Spanish within the Q&A pod. During the Q&A session, remote attendees may also raise their hand using the raised hand icon at the bottom of the screen. Participants who are onsite can go to the standing mic. Questions and comments placed in chat will be considered as part of the “chat” and will not be addressed by the executives.
Jeff Neuman
01:23:13
Logging requests is something almost every system does, so not sure that asking for logging is really an additive task.
Reg Levy - Tucows
01:24:03
@Jeff the issue is that responses occur outside the system so it's not necessarily loggable
Harald Alvestrand
01:24:19
Log scrubbing for PII is a mandatory part of log design these days.
Reg Levy - Tucows
01:25:17
+1 for fewer acronyms!
Jeff Neuman
01:25:18
@Reg - understood. But logging everything within their control is the norm.
Rubens Kuhl
01:25:39
TMA - Too Much Acronyms
Reg Levy - Tucows
01:26:00
+1 for community-led sessions with indications of who is leading them!!
Jamie Gillespie
01:26:03
With the currently crippled whois data disclosure system proposal, I don't see why any LEAs would use it versus going directly to the registrars. They'll need to prove their identity and justification directly anyways.
Pei-Ruei Li (Net-Chinese)
01:26:53
+Kathy
Jeff Neuman
01:27:02
History is told based on your individual perception of what happened. But just because one believes it happened in a certain way does NOT mean it actually happened in that way.
Donna Austin
01:27:08
Not a fair representation of closed generics.
Jeff Neuman
01:27:54
@Kathy told the history of Closed Generics to @Kathy. But that history does not match what I or others in SubPro recall as the history.
Jeff Neuman
01:28:35
SubPro documented extensively in its initial and final reports the actual history of the Closed Generics issue.
Reg Levy - Tucows
01:28:56
+1 Jamie
Ephraim Percy Kenyanito (NCSG)
01:30:26
Question:- It is important to note that ICANN recently created a central page providing updates on the Implementation of Work Stream 2 Recommendations. ICANN has made various steps to implement various recommendations However I would like to ask for more transparency on the implementation of the Framework of Interpretation for Human Rights. Specifically we note that ICANN Org carried out (on its own volition) a Human Rights Impact Assessment (HRIA) in May 2019. This was before the passage of the framework by the board via the November 2019 AGM in Montreal. Question- when will ICANN carry out another formal HRIA in order to confirm that Human Rights are being implemented at the Org/ Board level in line with Section 27 of the ICANN By Law on Human Rights and the Framework of Interpretation on Human Rights? Additionally, are the new systems being developed in order to implement policies being developed after Human Rights Impact Assessments/ Data Protection Impact Assessments?
Andrea Glandon - ICANN Org
01:30:46
@Ephraim, all questions need to be asked in the Q&A pod. Thank you.
Farzaneh Badii
01:31:24
fortunately some US senators issued a letter defending WHOIS registrants right to privacy
Andrea Glandon - ICANN Org
01:32:01
Please note that all questions should be submitted in English, French or Spanish within the Q&A pod. During the Q&A session, remote attendees may also raise their hand using the raised hand icon at the bottom of the screen. Participants who are onsite can go to the standing mic. Questions and comments placed in chat will be considered as part of the “chat” and will not be addressed by the executives.
Becky Burr
01:32:07
also, please check the “Answered" tab in the Q&A pod.
Jamie Gillespie
01:32:47
@Farzaneh - Wouldn't whois privacy services still exist? If people want privacy, there is that option (at least with some registrars)
Farzaneh Badii
01:33:36
how do we ask questions as remote participants? I put my hand up but should we just write it here?
Andrea Glandon - ICANN Org
01:34:02
Hi Farzaneh! You can raise your hand or ask in the Q&A pod.
Rick Lane
01:34:28
Thanks Becky. So please help us get the US Congress to change the applicable law.
Farzaneh Badii
01:34:44
do I need to use voice or text?
Andrea Glandon - ICANN Org
01:34:59
You can do voice with a raised hand or type text in the Q&A pod.
Rubens Kuhl
01:35:05
ICANN follows law, doesn't push law in either direction.
Farzaneh Badii
01:35:23
ok I just wait for my turn then
Andrea Glandon - ICANN Org
01:35:37
Thank you!
Rick Lane
01:35:38
Why is US cyber security and consumer protection being put at risk because of an EU "law"?
Oksana Prykhodko
01:35:47
Huge support @Nadiia! Ukraine urgently needs Starlinks!
Shreedeep Rayamajhi
01:36:00
can we have the mic open in zoom
Oksana Prykhodko
01:36:22
IGF-UA will be organized on-line only
Andrea Glandon - ICANN Org
01:36:37
@Shreedeep, we are working our way through questions.
Shreedeep Rayamajhi
01:36:51
okay than Andrea pls do read it out
Shreedeep Rayamajhi
01:36:57
thanks andrea
Rick Lane
01:37:09
@rubins It is not true that ICANN does not push laws. They just got a carve our in the US cyber security notification law and was able to get additional language in the NIS2
Rick Lane
01:37:20
carve ot
Rick Lane
01:37:26
carve out
Rick Lane
01:37:55
That language did not come out of thin air
Rajiv Kumar
01:38:03
I also support Hindi part of Interpation
Rick Lane
01:39:58
ICANN has paid outside lobbyist in the US to push laws in order to push in one direction or the other
Fiona Alexander
01:39:58
Here is a link to the letter that Farzaneh’s mentioned: https://www.wyden.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Wyden%20Letter%20to%20NTIA%20on%20Privacy%20in%20.US%20FINAL.pdf
Shreedeep Rayamajhi
01:41:08
I am talking about the lower constituency at ralos and other
Kurt Pritz
01:42:02
I missed the earlier celebrations and ceremonies, so here would like to express my admiration and thanks to Manal Ismail for leading and guiding the GAC for these many years. Manal has provided intelligent, steady direction and, more importantly, a kind, calm and dignified presence in every instance and with all people. Thank you.
Harald Alvestrand
01:42:31
Before the law is law, it is appropriate to tr to influence it to make it sane. Once the law is the law, we have to conform to it.
Andrea Glandon - ICANN Org
01:42:51
All queues are now closed. Thank you.
Stephanie Perrin
01:42:53
+1 Kurt. Kudos to Manal
Farzaneh Badii
01:43:16
Andrea, I thought we were eeping it open ...
Andrea Glandon - ICANN Org
01:44:28
@Farzaneh, no other additional people to the mics, pod etc. We will try to get through what we have now.
Farzaneh Badii
01:44:39
oh ok thanks! sorry
Andrea Glandon - ICANN Org
01:44:47
You're welcome!
Sander Steffann
01:45:24
ASO AC member here. I will take Leif’s feedback back to the team!
Donna Austin
01:45:35
Well said Kurt. Manal has been a tremendous contributor to ICANN over many many years.
Shreedeep Rayamajhi
01:45:41
so true #mynameismarylncade she helped me in ICANN to be comfortable
Hervé TIAGUEU
01:46:13
What are contributions of ICANN to the development of the African continent?
Ken-Ying TSENG (TW)
01:46:24
Well-said!!!
Goran Marby - ICANN Org
01:47:51
https://www.icann.org/en/blogs/details/with-sympathies-marilyn-cade-5-11-2020-en
Gina Villavicencio - ICANN Org
01:48:09
https://www.icann.org/in-memoriam
Rick Lane
01:48:37
I miss Maryln. She was one of the individuals who brought me into the ICANN process back in 1999 when I was at the US Chamber to help stop the efforts of the Contacted parties making WHOIS go dark. I am proud to continue that fight.
Goran Marby - ICANN Org
01:49:24
I want to give a Raul a thanks, we started the emission report after a question at an open session.
Nigel Hickson UK GAC
01:50:00
Farzaneh you should have been quicker😌
Farzaneh Badii
01:50:22
by WHOIS going dark you mean privacy of domain name registrants being preserved. lets be clear about that.
Reg Levy - Tucows
01:50:58
it's not "old whois" vs “dark whois” it's "illegal whois" vs “correct whois"
Rick Lane
01:51:34
An open, accessible and accurate WHOIS is not illegal in the US.
Nigel Hickson UK GAC
01:52:09
Agree miss Marilyn, she was inpiration to me, also deeply miss Tatek Kamel such a wise and kind mentor to many of us
Tomslin Samme-Nlar
01:52:48
@Herve, you might find your answer in the ICANN Africa regional strategy found here https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/africa-regional-plan-fy21-25-01jul20-en.pdf and the the work the Africa DNS Forum is doing also found here https://dnsforum.africa/
Farzaneh Badii
01:53:00
throwing people's personally identifiable information out in the public, their email address their mailing address that can lead to doxxing, and prosecution ... sounds pretty awful to me. and we did it for many years.
Lawrence Olawale-Roberts (MicroBoss)
01:53:13
Very well said Ron, thanks for recognizing the efforts much younger folks are putting in to help drive the work ahead of us all. Encouraging to know such efforts are noticed
Rick Lane
01:54:57
.dk has an open, accurate and accessible WHOIS. Are they violating EU law?https://www.eurodns.com/whois-search/dk-domain-name
Ken-Ying TSENG (TW)
01:55:18
Can ICANN support the civil and democratic activities conducted by the young generation of Hong Kong? I think this is what this young man is asking.
Joseph Alagna - it.com
01:57:23
Good question Jeff.
Rick Lane
01:59:51
@badii I respect your view. But that is not, as Goran has stated many times, something that ICANN can decide. This is an individual govt policy question that can only be answered by one's governments.
Nigel Hickson UK GAC
02:00:05
+1 to Ron
Joseph Alagna - it.com
02:00:41
For the last round, discussions started in 2007 and the window to apply opened in 2012.
Afia Faith
02:01:55
+1
Alberto Soto
02:03:04
Thanks, bye bye from Buenos Aires!!
Herb Waye
02:03:16
Thank you for your professional and respectful participation. Stay safe and be kind.
Moustapha Abakar Abdramane (ICANN75 fellow)
02:03:17
Thanks 🙏🏻 all
Stephanie Perrin
02:03:23
Please make the FOrum longer in Cancun. One hour is not enough
Paul D. McGrady
02:03:24
Thanks All!
Nigel Hickson UK GAC
02:03:28
Agree should be at least 90 mins thanks for session
Joseph Alagna - it.com
02:03:28
Thanks all!